In 1609 the Dutch East India Company asked the English captain Henry Hudson to find the north eastern passage to Asia. He ended up in Manhattan. Since that time, the Netherlands and the United States have maintained an intensive trade relationship. The reason for the flourishing trade relations is not only the market area on both sides of the Atlantic, but also the excellent infrastructure and tax facilities in the Netherlands.
Through the US desk, VMW Taxand offers integrated legal and tax advice to American companies wishing to establish themselves or expand in Europe. Our advisers are familiar with the specific areas of concern for US companies.
We work in close partnership with our US colleagues through the Taxand and Globalaw networks. Our American Taxand partner is the firm Alvarez & Marsal. This firm is particularly known for the services provided in the liquidation of Enron and Lehman Brothers.
Our services consist of the following, among others:
- Tax and legal optimization of existing structures.
- Legal and tax advice on “Greenfield” projects including rulings.
- Setting up and maintaining (European) holding structures.
- International construction projects.
- Joint ventures.
- Advice on financing transactions, including so-called CV/BV and BV1/BV2 structures.
- The practical application of the Dutch-American tax treaty and the “Limitation of Benefits” rules.
- Advice on acquisitions and (dis)investments.